Wednesday, May 13, 2015

What does it mean to be a part of Am Yisrael? That's a pretty tough question

For me to write about what it means to me to be a part of Am Yisrael is extremely difficult. Judaism is a very  important part of my life. From my Jewish home, my involvement at my Temple, fourteen summers at Jewish summer camp, NFTY, EIE, and all my other experiences, it's clear that my Jewish identity and participation is a pretty big part of my life. Community is especially important to me, and that's a large part of the reason I love camp and NFTY so much. The connections I've made with other people through those experiences have shaped my life and who I've become. And it's all because of my Judaism.

In terms of being part of the greater Jewish People, I feel an incredible amount of pride. I understand that there are times when being a Jew isn't easy (is it ever?), but overall, I am very proud to be a Jew and to associate myself with Am Yisrael. Jews have made so many positive and important impacts on society (technological inventions, singers and actors, etc.), and it's much better being a Jew today than almost any other time in history. Specifically in America, Jews have a mostly positive reputation, and are known to contribute a considerable amount to society, in several fields.

All in all, I am incredibly proud of my Judaism. Jews have created a good name for themselves in America, and with all of the experiences I've had that have shaped my life and my identity, I can say that being a part of Am Yisrael is something that I hold near and dear to my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment