Sunday, February 1, 2015

The Ultimate Separation: Havdalah at the Kotel

Hamavdil bein kodesh l’chol. Sizzle. My favorite sound of the week. The sound made when the Havdalah candle is extinguished by the wine is like nothing else. It may just be the sound of a fire going out, but it represents something so much more. Havdallah is meant to end Shabbat, and begin the new week, distinguishing the sacred, “kodesh,” from the everyday, “l’chol.” We aren't just ending Shabbat, we are turning over a new leaf, beginning a new week full of new opportunities and new chances. For us here on EIE, that is especially fitting. Yes, we are separating Shabbat from the rest of the week, but we are also separating our lives back home and our new lives here in Israel. We all come from different places and backgrounds, and now we are one Kehilla Kedosha. We are here together now, and we all have the opportunity to start anew. We can be whoever we want here, regardless of our actions or reputations at home. We can be better people, we can be more ourselves, there is nothing holding us back. The transition has been made, and we’re finally here! And what better way to symbolize that, than with a Havdalah service on one of our first days together?

The service was particularly special for me. In terms of our traditions and actions as Jews, prayer is probably my favorite. Growing up at URJ Eisner Camp and now being in NFTY, I've truly grown to love services and prayer. Shabbat and weekly T’fillot are great, but Havdalah has always been my favorite. It’s more special to me, and of course the music and prayers and fantastic. So for me, my passion and enjoyment were immensely escalated this time around. Not only did we have Havdalah in Israel, but we did it at the Kotel. Something about singing those same songs and seeing the same sights I've always seen during Havdalah, but with the walls and Jerusalem skyline in the background, it was just amazing. Havdalah is a beautiful service, one of my favorites, and being able to sing together in Jerusalem and at the Kotel was an incredible experience, one that I won’t likely forget. 

No comments:

Post a Comment